RECIPE —> Oxtail Minestrone
- 250g beef oxtail
- Flour for dusting
- 200ml good quality tinned plum tomatoes
- 50g white beans, seasoned with salt and pepper and a splash of oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped finely
- 1 small bunch basil leaves, leaves and stalks separated
- 200g good quality tinned plum tomatoes
- 400ml red wine
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 50g baby spinach
- 250ml good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 20g dried pasta
- Drain the beans, season
- For the oxtail, dust the meat in the flour and season with salt
- Brown all sides in a pan, remove and set aside
- Add a splash of oil, ½ chopped onion, half of the carrots, celery, fennel and brown
- Add the meat, 200ml red wine and veg to a pressure cooker, add 200ml tinned tomatoes and cover with chicken stock
- Cook for 45minutes on high pressure until oxtail is soft.
- In a large pot, on low heat, add the onion, carrot, garlic, celery, fennel, and finely sliced basil stalks
- Sweat very slowly for 15minutes until soft but not brown
- Add the courgettes, 200ml red wine, and tinned tomatoes and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add the beans, pasta, spinach, and stock and simmer until the pasta is soft
- Add the oxtail meat and fresh basil leaves to the soup and serve.
- Use the oxtail cooking liquid or stock for the soup or to thin down the soup.
- Make sure the veg and meat for the oxtail is browned well for good flavor.
- Crush the dry pasta before adding it to the soup for small pasta pieces.